Areas of Expertise
Independent Children's Lawyer
Mediation & Arbitration
Trusts & Estates
Wills & Probate
Chris Othen commenced practice as a solicitor in England in 1999. Chris migrated to Australia permanently in 2005 when he joined a leading Sydney family law firm. He was accredited as a specialist in family law by the Law Society of NSW shortly after that.
Chris was admitted to the Bar in 2011 and joined Waratah Chambers as a reader with Mr Peter Campton SC and Mr John Levy.
Chris has built a reputation as specialist junior Counsel in family law. He has been recognised in Doyles Guide 2018 as preeminent in the field in NSW, and as leading Junior Counsel within Australia
His practice is predominantly in appearances as advocate, and in the preparation of legal submissions and written and oral opinions.
Chris is accredited as an arbitrator of financial disputes under the Family Law Act, and conducts arbitrations at Waratah Chambers. Chris is also available to act as a mediator of family law disputes.
He is experienced in the following areas:
- Appellate work at the Full Court of the Family Court of Australia;
- Property adjustment and maintenance proceedings under the Family Law Act;
- Claims by or against third parties including in equity, bankruptcy and debt in family law proceedings;
- Proceedings to set aside or enforce Financial Agreements;
- De facto relationship disputes, including declarations about the existence and/or length of de facto relationships;
- Complex parenting cases including those involving allegations of sexual abuse, parental neglect, and relocation;
- Family law practice and procedure;
- Child Support including child support reviews and appeals;
- Real property disputes and caveats
- Family provision claims and contested will disputes under the Succession Act (NSW) 2006
Chris presents papers to professional associations in Sydney and in regional cities and towns, and he is one of the authors of CCH’s Master Family Law Guide.