Areas of Expertise
Care & Protection
Mediation & Arbitration
Esther Lawson was admitted to the NSW Bar in 2005.
The majority of Esther’s practice is in the areas of family law, care and protection law, adoption law and criminal law.
Esther has appeared in the Full Court of the Family Court, the Family Court of Australia, the NSW Court of Appeal, the NSW Supreme Court and the NSW District Court.
Esther has regularly appeared on circuit in country sittings of the Family Court, the Federal Circuit Court and the District Court.
Over the years, Esther has sat on committees such as the Family Law Committee of the NSW Bar, the Children’s Court Advisory Committee, the Expert Working Committee on ADR in Care and Protection Proceedings, the Professional Conduct Committee of the NSW Bar, the Australian Bar Association Family Law Committee, the Legal Aid Committee of the NSW Bar and the Legal Aid Review Committee
Esther has presented a number of papers to the legal profession. A sample of which can be found below:
- NSW Bar Association, Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Parramatta, ‘Expert Evidence in Parenting Proceedings, a comparison: Family Law, Care and Protection Law and Adoption’: 2015
- NSW Bar Association, Continuing Professional Development (CPD), Sydney, ‘Cultural Planning in Care and Protection Proceedings’: 2014
- Crown Solicitors Office Annual Conference ‘Decision of TVK and its implications in Adoption Proceedings’: 2013
- Joint author of ‘Care and Protection Chapter’, Lawyers Practice Manual NSW, Published by Thomsons: 2012
- NSW Bar Association Reader’s Course: ‘Overview of the Care and Protection Jurisdiction’: 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009 (2 x per year)
- Legal Aid NSW Care and Protection Annual Conference, Guest Presenter: ‘Practice Standards in Care and Protection Proceedings’: 2011
- Children’s Law Annual Conference, Guest Presenter: ‘Changes to Care and Protection Law’: 2009
- Legal Aid NSW Care and Protection Annual Conference, Guest Presenter: ‘Changes to Care and Protection Law’: 2009
- Brothers and Sisters In Law (BASIL) Annual Conference, Guest Presenter: ‘De facto Relationships’: 2009
- Northern Beaches Annual Conference, Guest Presenter: ‘Contravention Proceedings’: 2008
In 2016, 2017 and 2018 Esther was recognised by the Doyles Guide as one of the recommended family law barristers in New South Wales and Australia.